Thursday, September 3, 2009

What happened on Turk’s Mountain today?


The cling peaches are all beginning to ripen. Last year the crop was monitored and stolen by a secret competitor(s), probably raccoons and/or opossums. One day at 5 o’clock the peaches were there, later that night when I went to get one, only the pits scattered on the ground were evident. This year I have been removing the crop early.

The tomatoes and peppers are coming in, later than usual. I will have to decide what to do with all the extras. My order of plants had been replaced by the mail order, but the original ones mostly recovered, so now I have more than I can use.

I went out to take some pictures of the hummingbird bees today. They were everywhere last week, but with all the rain, I haven’t been able to find them. They are actually a moth, but look like a cross between a hummingbird and a bumble bee. I hope to have some pictures before frost.

I started preparing three new beds; one large bed near the front entrance which will have redbuds, spirea and barberry, one long row of 20 rose of sharon against the garden fence, and a long row of 50 shrub roses on the inside of the garden. I still have to decide where to plant the mulberry and elm trees. I won’t put the plants in until October.

The attached picture: Late summer climbing roses trellised on the hay shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment