Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Carolina Chickadee and Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Each day this week I will focus on some favorite songbirds that have entered and become part of my life here on Turk’s Mountain. Each of them have informed me and made my life fuller. I salute each of them with this small recognition.

Monday – Eastern Bluebird and Tree Swallow
Tuesday - Indigo Bunting and Scarlet Tanager
Today - Carolina Chickadee and Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Thursday - House Wren and Eastern Phoebe
Friday - Cardinal and Blue Jay

Carolina Chickadee
Dressed in what appears to be formal attire, these small, curious birds are among the most inquisitive. They are in constant movement as small flocks, seemingly in well-oiled coordination. They winter in this area and appear to be fearless in snow storms. They are named after their song chick-a-dee-dee-dee. A common visitor to most bird feeders, they move in concert with the Tufted Titmouse and Junco.



I admire their courage and enterprise. There is a lot of energy in this small package.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak
This distinctly colored bird is related to the Cardinal. It appears around here at my bird feeders in the early spring for a few weeks before moving on to somewhere else. While more of a temporary visitor, I wish he would stay around a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment